There are many ways to help prevent suicide in your local community. Attend a training, volunteer for a local organization, or attend an event such as a walk/run to raise awareness. Trainings and events can be found on the Rhode Island Prevention Resource Center calendar.
Here are some local organizations that often recruit volunteers. Please contact them to see if they are currently open to volunteer applications.
- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention Rhode Island chapter
- National Alliance on Mental Illness Rhode Island chapter
- The Samaritans of Rhode Island (suicide prevention)
- Sojourner House Rhode Island (domestic and sexual violence)
- The Bristol Health Equity Zone has a suicide prevention subcommittee. The Bristol HEZ is a community-wide effort to improve health in Bristol.
- Day One Rhode Island (sexual abuse and violence)
- Healthy Bodies, Healthy Minds Washington County is a collaborative effort to transform community health in Washington County.
- The Washington County Coalition for Children is a membership coalition of groups and individuals who advocate on behalf of Washington County children.
Higher Education Suicide Prevention Advisory Group
RIDOH convenes the Higher Education Suicide Prevention Advisory Group, consisting of representatives from all 11 colleges and universities in Rhode Island. This group convenes twice yearly to learn best practices in suicide prevention for college campuses and advise RIDOH on trends happening on their campuses. If you are a staff member on a Rhode Island college campus that works in student life, student health, or student mental health and you are interested in joining the Advisory Group, please fill out the Contact Us form stating your interest.